What's the role?
The role of Development Operations (DevOps) Engineer is responsible for working with the development team on application build system, deployment, and network operations. This person will be responsible for managing the entire DevOps lifecycle including the operation and monitoring of company systems, creating and maintaining our continuous integration environment and development tool chain, and assisting with troubleshooting network and system problems. The ideal candidate will have cloud experience, including AWS and Azure, have demonstrated ability to build and maintain the whole stack from load balancing to databases, manage deployment, devise logging strategy, application performance monitoring, troubleshooting, and improving systems to keep everything running smoothly.
Who is Hilti?
If you’re new to the industry, you might not have heard of us. We provide leading-edge tools, technologies, software and services for the global construction sector. We have a proud heritage, built over 75 years, and a worldwide reputation for pioneering products and exceptional service.
With 30,000 people in more than 120 countries, which we’re looking to expand, we’re a great place for you to show us your worth, step up to new challenges and grow your career.
What does the role involve?
- Contribute to the overall direction of our adoption of AWS to include standards, design, operations
- Design technical solutions in partnership with Software Engineering teams to meet application/service functional and non-function requirements
- Contribute and help lead the transition to a code everything strategy
- Contribute to our DevOps culture, continuous integrations, processes, and tools.
- You will monitor current and future trends, technology, and information that will positively affect organizational projects; apply and integrate emerging technological trends to new and existing systems architecture. Lead the adoption of best practices, standards, training, and general support for the cloud environment.
Hilti has been cited 8th World’s Best Workplaces for 2022. The accolades are given by Great Place to Work (GPTW), the worldwide industry leader in quantifying employee experience.
What do we offer?
Your responsibilities will be great and, with them, we’ll give you the freedom and autonomy to do whatever it takes to deliver outstanding results.
We’ll offer you opportunities to move around the business – you will get global exposure, experience different job functions and tackle different markets. It’s a great way to find the right match for your ambitions and achieve the exciting career you’re after.
We have a very thorough people review process which enables your career progression as soon as you’re ready for the next challenge.
What you need is:
- Technical Degree (BE/BTECH) with 10+ years of professional experience
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges. Strong on initiative, ambitious and creative problem solver
- You enjoy and have experience presenting or communicating in a professional environment.
- You know how to communicate your ideas. You want to learn from and listen to the ideas of other engineers
- Background in any of the following: Cloud Architecture (AWS), Systems Design, Software Development, Infrastructure Architecture, Data Engineering or DevOps
- Direct hands-on experience leading the design, development and deployment of business software at scale or recent hands-on technology infrastructure, network, compute, storage, and virtualization experience
- Experience with software development life cycle (SDLC) and agile/iterative methodologies
- Experience with IT compliance and risk management requirements (eg. security, privacy, SOX, HIPAA etc.)
- Take ownership end-to-end of our infrastructure footprint. Help mentor those around you and support our development team in providing observability and metrics.
- Preferred Qualifications
- A passion for technology and for learning, Experience designing, building, refactoring or operating large scale and impactful IT systems - either on premises or in the cloud
- Strong experience with Containerization (Docker) and Container orchestration platforms (Kubernetes), Ingress/Egress, Access control
- Knowledge of the primary AWS services (EC2, ELB, RDS, VPC, Route53 & S3 etc), experience with AWS networking including Transit Gateway, API Gateways, IDMs
- Experience running databases at scale especially PostgreSQL and MongoDB
- Have some experience in programming and/or data analysis, e.g., with SQL
- App Logging and Monitoring – CloudWatch, ELK Stack, Grafana, Prometheus etc
- Background in Serverless (notably Lambdas) and Event-Driven Architecture.
- Strong track record of implementing AWS services in a variety of distributed computing environments. Leading highly available and fault-tolerant enterprise and web-scale software deployments
- Large scale migration experience Data Center to Data Center and/or Data Center to Cloud
- Strong practical Linux and Windows-based systems administration skills in a Cloud or Virtualized environment
- Experience managing data center operations, including data assurance, monitoring, alerting and notifications
- Communicate daily with the DevOps and Engineering team and are equally comfortable presenting to a non-technical audience.
Why should you apply?
We have an excellent mix of people, which we believe makes for a more vibrant, more innovative, more productive team. So, if you’ve never worked in construction, that’s fine with us. Success at Hilti is down to teamwork, ability and competitive drive, no matter what your background.